3 reasons why collision shop owners outsource alignment
... And what it's costing them!
From Chief Automotive
So why aren’t more bringing it in-house?
Chief surveyed collision repair shop owners to find out just how much outsourcing impacts their business and why they’re resistant to doing alignments themselves.
Here’s what they found:
58% of collision shop owners say they outsource alignment
Why? There were 3 main reasons keeping shop owners from bringing alignment in-house.
- Reason #1: 32% say there’s not enough demand.
- While up to half of cars end up needing an alignment, shops aren’t always checking each vehicle for the opportunity to upsell alignment work. Only 31% of shop owners check every vehicle, which is a missed opportunity.
- Reason #2: 54% say equipment is too expensive.
- When you invest in the equipment to perform alignments in-house, you get to keep significantly more profit to offset the cost of your investment over time.
- Reason #3: 57% say they don’t have the space for a dedicated alignment bay.
- Consider a tower-free design, some alignment equipment is portable and can be configured to work within the shop’s existing space.
And outsourcing cuts into productivity too. Over half (53%) of shop owners say that outsourcing had a negative impact on their cycle times.