ASA: Helpful tips for repair shops, others amid COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
CLICK HERE for Industry Best Practices: Auto Repair Shops & COVID-19
HELPFUL TIPS: COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS)
Here is a list of tips that you may find helpful as you interact with customers and as you service and repair vehicles. For more information and tips, visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) & Prevention website or access state and county health departments for the most up-to-date information in your area.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds at least using soap and water.
- Offer a welcoming smile and greeting instead of a handshake. Keep a distance of about 6 feet away, as recommended by the CDC.
- Use your Shop Management Software System to keep a daily list of people entering your business. Should anyone get the Coronavirus, this will be helpful in contacting people.
- Consider offering free vehicle sanitation service on all vehicles coming in for a service or before your techs get into the cars.
- Keep your hands healthy, safe and clean by wearing protective gloves.
- Make sure your entire shop is sanitized frequently during the day. This includes frequently touched surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets and sinks. Here are cleaning and disinfection guidelines from the CDC.
- Offer free pick up and delivery of your client’s vehicle or offer a loaner car if you have that option.
- Seat covers keep customers’ cars grease free and they may keep germs off your techs.
- Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer everywhere people will be. Proactively let your customers know that you are keeping them safe.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- Keep communicating and promoting the message that people need to stay at home even if they have just mild symptoms of COVID-19. Display posters with this message in your workplaces. Combine this with other communication channels commonly used in your organization or business. Your occupational health services, local public health authority or other partners may have developed campaign materials to promote this message.
- Share this information with your entire team to keep everyone informed and educated.
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES
Coronavirus & your repair shop: How to minimize the impact
Resources for Businesses and Employers on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
OSHA ‐ How to Maintain Operations During a Pandemic
CDC ‐ Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist
FEMA ‐ Pandemic Influenza Continuity of Operations
US Department of Labor ‐ Coronavirus Resources