That Thing Got a Hemi?
Yeah, but it’s losing top-end power. Here’s how to diagnose and fix it.
Owners of 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, 3500 or Cab & Chassis 4500 vehicles equipped with the 5.7 liter Hemi engine may experience a loss of top-end power accompanied by a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).
The following diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) will be active or stored:
• P1004 (short runner valve control performance)
• P2016 (short runner valve position sensor circuit low)
• P2017 (short runner valve position sensor circuit high)
The cause: The short runner valve (SRV) actuator wiring harness pigtail is too short, causing excessive wear on the SRV and SRV wiring connector. The SRV is bolted to the rear of the intake manifold and can be serviced separately from the manifold.
The fix: Replace the short runner valve, SRV connector and wiring pigtail, as well as add a new stud for a tie strap.
If DTCs are present, other than those listed above, record and repair them as necessary before proceeding with this procedure. If there are no other DTCs and the above conditions are present, perform the following procedures.
Be sure to review all safety and vehicle precautions included in ALLDATA before you begin. See the reference table for the replacement part numbers.
1. Remove intake manifold (follow ALLDATA OEM service procedures provided in ALLDATA).
2. Cover intake ports.
3. Remove SRV.
4. Discard one SRV bolt (replace it with a stud from the kit).
5. Replace the SRV with updated part. Use the SRV stud supplied with kit in the hole located on right side of the intake manifold and two remaining bolts in the other locations. Torque bolts to 5 Nm (44 in.-lbs.).
6. Measure 50 mm (1.9 inches) from end of SRV connector and cut off.
7. Using the 18-gauge wires from the wiring kit, solder a splice in the SRV wires (be sure to use heat-shrink on wires after splicing).
8. Install new SRV connector from kit.
9. Wrap all exposed wiring with high-abrasion tape.
10. Measure 100 mm (3.9 inches) from end of the new SRV connector and install the stud mount tie-strap on the wire.
11. Measure 150 mm (5.9 inches) from the stud mount tie-strap toward main harness and tie-strap the new SRV pigtail to the main harness.
12. Connect stud mount tie-strap to stud.
13. Apply Loctite on intake manifold bolts.
14. Install intake manifold.
CAUTION: When installing intake manifold, don’t pinch the SRV wiring under intake.
When the repairs are complete, clear all the DTCs and test drive the vehicle to confirm the problem has been resolved.