Shop Site of the Month
Nagy’s Collision Specialists – Orrville, Ohio, and other locations
Recently redesigned, Nagy’s Collision tames the multilocation shop website monster with clear, consistent navigation to each facility and clear portraits of each facility’s staff. We especially like the shop’s history narrative and the introductions of the owners that give visitors a more personal feel of the shop’s mission and abilities.
Web Wise: Locking Down Your Laptop
Mobile computing continues to rise, but the portable computer of choice for most of the working world. But with any benefit, you must accept the risks involved. The same holds true for your business’
Every business needs to be protected from information theft of sensitive data, and when you and your employees use laptops, the level of protection needs to be even more vigilant. Let’s look at some strategies for protecting equipment and data that can easily grow legs and walk away:
• Make it easy to return: Place a text file on your desktop named ‘Reward_If_Found.txt,’ and place your contact information in the file. Even if your laptop is stolen, the thief may have a change of heart and return it instead of trying to sell it.
• Encrypt all sensitive information: Personnel records, financial and medical information, and credit card numbers need extra protection. There are a number of good encryption tools available, including McAfee’s Endpoint Encryption and the open-source (free) TrueCrypt that works with Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.
• Install a tracker: There are also a number of companies offering laptop tracking software that can be activated in the event of theft, such as Undercover and Prey. These services not only track the location and IP of the computer, but they can take snapshot photos with your laptop’s built-in camera to help authorities apprehend the culprit.
• Back up regularly: Nothing can ruin your day more than a hard drive failure or the loss of your computer equipment. But a recent backup on an external disk or cloud service can turn a horrible day into a salvageable one. Don’t neglect this crucial step in maintaining and protecting your data.
• Get the word out: If the worst happens and your laptop comes up missing, don’t forget to file a police report and inform your insurance company, and if applicable, your security company. The system will likely be covered by your business insurance policy.In addition, inform local computer repair and pawn shops, and place an ad on Craigslist. If you can afford it, offer a reward.
ASA Web Ways: Gift Giving Made Easy
Looking for holiday gift ideas for fellow technicians and shop owners? AutoInc. magazine makes the decision easy – no shopping, wrapping or shipping! You can give the gift of 12 monthly issues of ASA’s official publication; simply visit www.AutoInc.org/subscribe.htm for details. Filled with great technical how-to information and management advice, AutoInc. takes the hassle out of holiday shopping!
Three in four U.S. households will be online by the end of 2012, according to projections.Source: eMarketer.com
Copyright 1996-2012. Automotive Service Association. All rights reserved.
Anti-spam form protection provided by SnapHost.com